Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
After reading up on the subject of fiber optics and its continued global expansion I have come to a few conclusions. Conclusions that are sure to be unpopular, but should be respected as a beginning investors humble opinion.

Both documented resources came from UPSIDE. The first, an article writen on July 5 of this year. The article basicaly lays out the transition that fiber optics technology is going through. The main point that was driven home from this article was that fiber optic cable is not in the slightest bit new.

"Transition to optics-
Up until the 1980s, most public communications networks were based on copper wire. Most of that copper has since been replaced with high-capacity fiber-optic cable, leaving the "last-mile" connection -- the span leading directly to the home -- stuck in the age of copper or coaxial cable. The transition to fiber optics (and photons) was driven by the far greater transmission capacity of light in a fiber-optic line than the capacity available with electricity in a copper wire."

That most of the cable already laid can have its capacity increased simply by using new technologies. This may irrelevant in regards to tycom, because of the lack of information regarding prior global netword development.

I also got the impression from this article that the next big thing in optics will be the "last mile" as mentioned above.

Heres the link-

http://www.upside.com/texis/mvm/story?id=39492d200

The next article more relevant to the actual subject was written in Dec. of 99. A bit dated but thorough and helpful for a novice in the field of optics.

It discusses the history of global crossing and the rising competition that will make life difficult for all in the industry.

"In just two years, Global Crossing's world had changed dramatically. It could see that serious competition was looming in its business of selling wholesale capacity to telecom carriers. By about 2001, several new cable systems are projected to be operating across the Atlantic alone, each with 50 times or more the original capacity of AC-1. Similar competition has also been heating up in the Pacific."

As a result of this and the subsequent lowering of margins global began to branch out into other areas of related businesses..

" Global Crossing is steadily moving into advanced services as well. In October, it announced plans to build 10 Global Centers, or network-connected data centers, in Europe and the United States. These centers will offer services such as Web hosting and colocation. The company is also rolling out sophisticated new Internet and long-distance services for business customers."

This and other GBLX ventures may or may not work (personally as a tyc long I hope GBLX either crumbles of pays tyc what it owes them. A deal's a deal).

Here's the link to the GBLX article-

http://www.upside.com/texis/mvm/story?id=385958910

Anyways, The message I got from this article was the uncertainty of GBLX's future. This makes me nervous for tycom.

I wish they would just stick with billing unprofitable companies for their services. But then again that makes me wonder if they will be out of a job once tons of the stuff is laid down. And god help us companies like GBLX are making a fortune. Either way makes me umcertain. I am also concerned about potential profit margins and oversupply. So I'll just stick this one out.

ABC

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.