Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 15
...is the sheer fun of cutting out the words, pasting them in order on a sheet of paper (I have YOUR cat, send $100) and, lastly, peeling off the surgical gloves worn to prevent DNA evidence.

I figure I am making about $16 a word which is a far cry from the five cents a word I was making in magazine writing Yes, fellow writers I thought this at the time munificence. Three days to research and write 1,500 words and then paid a whole $75. Gosh, almighty, I are a paid writer I is. Of course, this was in the days of Underwood typewriters and it may be more these days, maybe up to ten cents.

Then I became an editor of several magazines in succession (How to get Michael Read as your editor: wave money in his face. His eyes glaze and he'll follow you anywhere). I was in the position of paying writers and the rotten sods wanted $75 for just three days work. Ha!

My misfortunes and personal degradation worsened and I started my own advertising agency. Now I was paying people to write as few words as they could and they expecting me to pay them scads of money for doing so. It got so bad and I was paying out so much money to writers that when BBDO offered to buy it took me almost half a minute to say, “Pony up the cash.”

And that phrase was the most per word I have ever earned in writing. About $25,000 a word. So what did I do? I started a writing agency supplying articles at about $75 each.

But back to the beginning of this post: writing ransom notes. Sure beats 1,500 word articles. Of course, your mileage may vary, but I have found it to be productive. And you can be creative:

Little cat lost, can't find her way;
Now staying with a friend to feed and shelter;
Since her collar says that you're her master,
I know that you'll a hundred dollars happily pay.

Go for it.

MichaelR

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.