Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
What I need is advice on how to not be here next year with the same complaint. Beyond the obvious of reducing IB's exemptions to 0, what advice does Fooldom have to offer?

You mentioned a paid preparer did your taxes this year. You should ask this person for help to figure out the proper withholding for TY2002.

There are a bunch of withholding calculators available. Probably the best one is on the IRS web site:,,i1%3D54%26genericId%3D14807,00.html

Personally, I find the withholding calculators are too often inaccurate. I prefer to use last year's forms and instructions to run this year's numbers, and then I tinker with my withholding numbers to get my withholding to match my expected tax liability. It's a nuisance to run the numbers again and again, but it helps to avoid surprises.

Remember to include all your income when you figure your withholding. This past year, I just plain forget to include one income source in my withholding calculations, and I got a rude surprise when I figured my taxes. It was pure stupidity that I could have avoided if I'd just been careful.

David Jacobs
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.