Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
What I tell my oldest child, who’s a few years behind you, is that there are lots of ways to make a living. What matters is that you find something legal that you enjoy, that you can take pride in, and that you can be satisfied with the lifestyle that it supports.

I happen to have two jobs that I enjoy very much. Neither of which bear much resemblance to my primary major in college (Electrical Engineering). My oldest thinks he wants to be a dentist or orthodontist, which never interested either my wife or myself.

Whatever you choose, recognize that there are a lot of miserable people in high paying jobs who are ‘stuck’ there due to high debt levels or high cost lifestyle choices. Also recognize that every career field has people who thrive in it, people who barely survive in it, and people who ultimately don’t work out in it. Certain fields might have higher average salaries than others, but even that’s no guarantee of success.

Take advantage of being undecided in your first year to take classes across multiple fields that might interest you. Consider applying for summer internships and ask your interviewers what they like most about their jobs and their companies. You’ll certainly learn something and might even get a job or a career field out of it.

Regards,
-Chuck
Discovery/HR Home Fool
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.