Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
What I want to know is whether I can use the printout from this program as an attachment to form 8283 to satisfy all the required disclosure. Looking over form 8283, I see questions being asked about when I acquired each donated item, as well as how I arrived at its fair market value. Assuming that I really am required to fill out 8283, how insistent is the IRS on having every bit of this detail so long as I have used the ItsDeductible software - which does not ask for this level of detail. Do I need to be taking digital photos of all my donated clothing and books?

I also use Its Deductible for my charitable donations. Not sure if you realize this from the way your question is worded but the It's Deductible software does the form 8283 for you. You just print it out at the end of the year and attach to your tax forms.

Those questions about date acquired, how acquired, and adjusted basis (columns d, e, f on the 8283) only have to be answered for any item you donated worth over $500 (not total value over $500). I have never had a single item that highly valued so I'm not sure how It's Deductible handles those but I'd bet that it asks you the questions and fills out the 8283 accordingly.

There are certain rules about very highly valued items and having to get an appraisal for tax purposes. Again, I never have single items that high so I don't remember the exact threshold.

I do take photos of all my items that I donate. (And I take real photos, not digital because I've heard that in some instances the IRS has a problem with digital. Not sure how true that is - something about the ease of doctoring digital vs. real ones.) I don't know how critical is it to have the photos but it helps me enter the info anyway and keep track of my donations and I have them just in case I'm ever audited.

Hope that helps,
sjfans
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.