Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
What I'm interested in is how you approach a position where there is no clear cut decision that strikes you as overly right or overly wrong.

It depends on a lot of things.
How does it compare in value relative to your other holdings and would you feel better with the cash there?

I prefer to hold 20-25 positions over 10 so I might keep it if I were closer to 10 than if I was closer to 25.

Same goes for weightings -- if I was already more heavily weighted in things I found to be much better valued I might tend to not sell to add to those. But if I only had a dink in something that was getting more appealing recently I would be more likely to move money from DG to it.

I don't own DG but I hold companies with 5-8% earnings yield and 8-11% EPS growth and prefer those to cash -- but you understand investing better than me and therefor activity is probably more beneficial to you than to me.

I might try to build a model that projects EPS growth out 5 years and put a 16.5 PE on it and see if I felt comfortable with that kind of return remembering that if I pay attention I might get that price and those gains sooner. Could take longer too but if you feel comfortable with a 5 year projection, time is probably on your side with this one.

In the end, with a dink, it probably doesn't matter. Prices drift so I might let it drift to a point where I felt it were an easier decision. If it is distracting you from what you need to do most, I would cut and run.

Not much help but (I feel) you deserve a response.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.