No. of Recommendations: 10
What I'm looking for is someone out there who can tell me why some people latch onto "revolutionary" ideas like early retirement and others either 1) think it is unAmerican, unethical, parasitical, etc. or 2) impossible for the common person (the "I have to work until 65 to maintain the lifestyle I 'need' when I'm retired" type).

Well I had this really great long post about this subject worth atleast 100 recommendations but I hit the wrong key and accidentally deleted the whole thing. So, now you get the short version.

I am not a psychologist, merely an engineer but I figure my case might be intersting since I am a recent convert to ER.

My husband has been thinking ER for a few months now as in before age 50. Okay I got used to that idea, of living here for only a few more years and then retiring elsewhere. Then he started talking next year or even this year. Some of his family, all of mine and even I started thinking "nuts, crazy, mid-life crisis, etc."

I believe things started getting serious in January 2000 after he discovered TMF and had been reading a bit. Books about LBYM and such started appearing on the coffee table and our evening discussions centered about his job and wanting to leave it. He began doing mechanical investing and all sorts of wild things with our money. (okay, wild to me anyway)

I joined TMF in Feb to see what the heck it was all about and I got interested and and also started reading, including the book "Your Money or Your Life". Slowly, I came to accept the idea of selling our beautiful dream house only built 3.5 years ago and moving to another state and living off SEPPs and enjoying the good life. After all, do 2 people and one dog really need 2800 sq ft colonial? I can't even keep it dusted. Life could be dreamier in an 1800 sq ft cape cod.

Then I read this post by Ubermensch1; Life: A Value Analysis. Light Bulb!!! In that post I saw my life in my last 2 jobs till I was laid-off, and now a perfect depiction of my husband's current job. And then a great description of what quality of life we were sacrificing.

So here we are planning ER, yet my poor DH is continuing slaving away doing something he no longer loves until the house sells. Yes it's a few more months of secure "real" paychecks, but it's also a few more months of drudgery for him. We can afford the few mortgage payments till the house sells, and when it does (and it's a seller's market here), part of the profit will be invested and the rest used to buy or rent a smaller abode till we build our minature American Dream. We will both be happier and I kind of like that.

So to summarize, at the beginning of February I was planning on living here another few years while DH slaved away. Then by the beginning of March we would be here for only part of this year. And then Friday night, Mar 17, a few hours after reading Ubermensch1's post (and a lot of others, can't blame just one person for this) we decided let's do it NOW. The hubster looked so happy!! It's scary, but I know it will be worth it.

And as to why others think the whole idea is absurd? They just really never thought about it.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.