Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
What is magical about $112 and $87 ? In your experience does this work ? Sounds gibberish to me.

That's a fair take. :) As I said I don't put a lot of credence in technical/chart analysis myself, but the theory on, for instance, the $112 price point gaining importance is that the stock has dropped to that point a couple times before, then recovered, and that price movement reveals market thinking and psychology giving support at that level. There are market participants who act on this kind of thinking, so it can take on aspects of a self fulfilling prophecy, IMO, at times, if nothing else.

In my experience, I've seen price action that backs up the technical analysis take, at times, not at some others. I know it's far from reliable.

When I think about this for my own potential use, it's only as an add-on to the fundamental analysis of the business. In this case I love the business and already have a substantial position, but there are some risks that make me not want to double down at this time. I don't really believe the prior price action establishing a low ~$87 years ago gives that number any real meaning, but I also think it feasible the price could drop that low, and I'm using it as a marker for ballpark when I might want to buy more if it does.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.