Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am about to liquidate some shares of a mutual fund. The form asks if I use the "specific shares method" for calculating capital gains. Then says to list the shares to be used for capital gains reporting.

This fund was a naked mutual fund not in any type of tax qualified plan. I have been accumulating monthly for 10 years.

Is there an alternative to the specific shares method? and which is better?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.