Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
What is the best tax software to use? I used TaxAct last year - mostly because it was free. Is Turbo Tax going to save me enough money to justify the cost? Is it worth it to spend more for the premium editions?

No, its not going to save you extra money really - at least the odds of that are very slim.

As someone who used TurboTax for several years and this year is using TaxACT, I have to say that TT does have a slightly friendlier interface. But if you were comfortable with TaxACT last year, there's no reason to pay more for something else now.

I would just recommend that you take 10-30 minutes to go through your 1040 before you send it off (even if you're going to efile, print it first) and go through the lines and make sure you don't feel as if they missed something important. Taking a little time to do it is probably worth more than you could ever pay for a different program.

As far as higher versions ('premium', etc) usually they just provide more assistance in determining cost basis and those kinds of things. If your finances are simple, as you said, you have no need to deal with that. And even if you do - its probably a better idea to learn it a bit yourself - that way you need not rely on the software misinterpreting what you were telling it - you can make sure its right yourself.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.