Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
what is the best way to calculate it, to try and have them only withold 1,711 for the rest of the year?

First the W-4 won't help you. It tries to withhold the tax due and ignores the safe harbor. Since you know the exact amount you need withheld you should get IRS Publication 15T. It's what your payroll department uses to calculated withholding. Look through it with your salary and various numbers of exemptions to find the dollars that will meet yor withholding needs absed on the number of pay periods left.

Another thing you can do is wait until your withholding reaches the correct yearly total and then claim 99 exemtions.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.