Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
What is the feeling here on pets? Have had one good and one bad experience with dogs, though the bad was an unauthorized puppy.....the good was an old dog who slept all day.

I don't do them any more. Had some good ones, but more mediocre and one bad. Bad was $5k in damages, mediocre included damaged Levelor mini-blinds (dog peering out window/chewing/pawing blinds), some urination on basement floor (despite that cat was litter box trained), carpets wearing out sooner/more stained, more cleaning/odor removal on flips, chewed/scratched door frames/doors, extended vacant times between flips because if extra cleaning, poop in the yard or on the condo grounds (but it's never from "their" pet), time spent rectifying poop issue/fees with Board (yes, I charge back tenant, but still a waste of my time). I'm sure there's more I've forgotten.

You have a house and yard, so digging, free-roaming and nuisance issues are a possibility. For sure a tenant should have renters insurance. I require all of mine to have it. But you'd want to look into any requirements you might want for them to have pet liability insurance coverage, so your liability doesn't take a hit. I haven't researched that.

The choice does depends on your market area, and property, as well. I can still pull in good prospects without pets. At worst, I might run an extra month vacant each time I flip tenants. Since I don't flip yearly (generally multi-year stays), if I pro-rate potential/actual damage costs/cleaning inconvenience against some lost revenue, I find lost revenue as the lesser wallet hit and less frustration from destroyed proper and my lost time. This includes the extra time I have to spend to "vet" pet-owning prospects and background-check their pet.

If I did, it would only be with additional "pet rent". I already max out security deposit at 2 months (state limit), so can't add "pet security deposit" to it. But our state allows "pet rent". Usual seems to be $50 per animal per my realtor. I don't think our state has defined limits per second on what would be usury, but might possibly take the total effect into consideration, especially in towna that have a Rent Commission. That's an educated guess afa rent limits. Haven't researched extensively how pets might affect the max rent mix, if at all.

Also, I would not do a pet without meeting them. Is the animal calm, quiet, trained? If it's barking and jumping all over me, that doesn't bode well for long-term behavioral issues. Does the owner appear to know the basics of good dog training (if a dog)? Does owner have proof of all shots up to date? Letter of recommendation from vet and/or trainer? How old? I love animals (and have them) but old ones can more susceptible to bladder/kidney/urination problems. And puppies can have house training problems.

Absolutely no un-neutered/spayed animals. Less worries about innapropriate territory urine marking, less prone to fighting or having (suprise!) puppies that need a home.

I'd choose someone with a female over a male. Males lift legs/spray more easily. At least females squat and you only have floor, not wall, damage.

Recommendations from past landlords. Preferably not the current one (wants to see pet gone). What is their plan for their animal during the time they work? Free roaming of house, crating, tie it outside? What do they do with their pet during vacations/weekend trips? Who is their emergency caretaker?

Fill out a pet lease addendum. Clearly outline their duties, responsibilities, requirements. Cleanup, noise, nuisance issues, etc.

Ask why they want/have a pet. "Guard dog" might mean something chained in the yard all day. Or yapping up a storm at home. What activities do they do with it? Engaged owners are better owners.

At our condo, one of the building occupants (not my unit), has a gawd-awful yappy Pekingese. Barks its damn head off whenever anybody walks by. I feel sorry for residence near that unit. Growl too, and I bet a high-risk to be a nipper.

Good luck whichever way you go.

Laura
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.