Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
In order to have only one grandma, your mother must be your father's sister. Not allowed in USA.
I got this question when I tried to log in to Emigrant.
Such a hassle. I sure am glad that my broker has not yet gone for this nonsense.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
None of their questions were unambigous. I made up five that made sense. It is just a waste of time.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Latinus,

You wrote, In order to have only one grandma, your mother must be your father's sister. Not allowed in USA.

Well... Technically it could still happen. :-)

Incest is really only illegal when one of the individuals is a minor, so it's possible your parents could be siblings... Of course I don't think any state in the union permits marriage between siblings, so you would probably have been born out of wedlock...

- Joel
Who's feeling a bit silly after lunch today...
But who also thinks this occasionally happens.
And who thinks someone at Emigrant had their cranium in their rectal orifice when they came up with this question...
This thread reminds me of:

http://www.ziplo.com/grandpa.htm
No. of Recommendations: 4
In order to have only one grandma, your mother must be your father's sister.

Okay, assume you have two grandmas. Heck, assume that your parents were both children of divorced parents, all their parents remarried, and everyone is still speaking to everyone else. You have four grandmas. Throw in divorce and remarriage of both your parents, and you can have as many as 8 grandmas!

Assume further that each of your however many grandmas has a different first name. You have the added security feature that a hacker has to guess which grandma's name you used for your answer!

Okay, enough silliness. Grandma's first name, my mother's maiden name, a school I attended, and similar pieces of trivia just aren't particularly secure. You want security? Ignore the canned five questions. Use these five questions instead:

1) What is password #1?
2) What is password #2?
3) What is password #3?
4) What is password #4?
5) What is password #5?

Then make up five different passwords to use in response to these questions. Change them regularly. Use all the appropriate standards for hard to guess passwords. Don't reuse these passwords anywhere else.

If you do use the canned questions, there's nothing to prevent you from saying your Grandma's name is "0xAFmxyzptlk3" as your repsonse. The system won't care if your answer is truthful.

Patzer
While that's true, a lot of us have one grandmother we call 'grandma', and another we call something else. So it may not be ambiguous. That said, a lot of their questions were, depending on your particular situation.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Both of my grandmas had the same first name, and no they weren't the same person.

I don't think I'll give it away here, though :)
Grandma's name is "0xAFmxyzptlk3"

She never Americanized it, eh?
When I wrote the OP, I wanted to close my account.
But I could not guess my grandma's name. In my anger I had answered the first five questions with "none1" through "none5". But I did not know which question was grandma.
And I could not close my account by phone, because our phone, "serviced" by Verizon, has not been working for the last 10 days.
-
"kaellner" wrote "I made up five that made sense." This inspired me to try
to do likewise. This time I tried "none3" for the answer.
I was lucky and got on. Then I entered my own questions.
My balance is only $1.50, LOL.