Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
What is your risk level for this income? Just about anything above bank savings account rates carries increasing risk. To deploy extra cash i puchased PFE, IBM, PPL and WBA. They average about 5% dividends on purchase price and they have appreciated about 10%, but that is where the increasing risk comes in.

Gene
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 9
Work? LOL - Sadly, it does seem like that's the only thing that's paying lately.

There are a couple of mostly busted convertibles that I have purchased in the past: WFC-L and BAC-L Both trade well over their par value of $1000 and their forced conversion of $1300, but with coupon rates of 7.50% and 7.25%, respectively, they still yield over 5%, even at their current prices of $1465 and $1435, respectively.

BAC-L can force conversion with the common at $65, and the common closed at $39.15 yesterday, so I'm not sure you would call that one totally busted, since it requires less than a double until it can be converted, and given that BAC WFC common has to get up to $203.72 to be able to force conversion of WFC-L, and it closed at $43.84 yesterday, so that one is still pretty busted, with almost a 5 bagger required.

I usually don't buy either one of these unless they are closer to the conversion price of $1300, because if interest rates ever go up, I would expect them to head back toward that price. But it's a 5% yield for now, so that's something to consider if you're willing to monitor it.

AJ
What is your risk level for this income? Just about anything above bank savings account rates carries increasing risk. To deploy extra cash i puchased PFE, IBM, PPL and WBA. They average about 5% dividends on purchase price and they have appreciated about 10%, but that is where the increasing risk comes in.

Gene
No. of Recommendations: 1
xom, pm, mo,ibm, mmm. Think total return. I think industrial are the best in this revitalized economy, but the yield isn't there. pave would be a decent choice or xli.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Cross posting from the Jim Royal board....

How about CORR-A?
7.375% Dep Shares Ser A Cumul Red Preferred Stk
https://www.quantumonline.com/search.cfm?tickersymbol=CORR-A...
The price has risen recently, but is still below par at $22.33

I know CORR has not been on your A-List Kingran, but it looks as though the company has made some cash flow stabalizing changes according to the below SeekingAlpha article:

Crimson California Acquisition Benefits CorEnergy Preferred
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4414047-crimson-california-...

-srockaz
Hello srockaz, Longtime. Jim's post sums up the challenges with CORR. I am setting up a portfolio focused on income. I am looking for 6~7% return and want to stay out of potential issues.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Take a look at PBI-B & CLNY-J. Neither really exciting, but for me
they work. Both at or under par. I especially like the Pitney Bowes
note that closed at $ 24.29 and has a coupon of 6.7%.
Norm
No. of Recommendations: 2
Thanks Kingran! It is good to be back!

Here's Jim's post outlining the challenges and an alternative:

https://boards.fool.com/yeah-corr-a-does-have-some-upside-i3...

I have two income providers that I've found to be stable over the last couple years. Maybe they will meet your criteria:

FBIOP - Fortress Biotech, 9.375% Series A Cumulative Perpetual Preferred Shares

TGP-B Teekay LNG Partners L.P., 8.50% Ser B Fixed/Float Cumul Red Perp Preferred Units
I believe TGP is a MLP so K-1's may apply

-srockaz
No. of Recommendations: 2
No. of Recommendations: 5
LordXot has a list of preferreds that may be helpful

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ai6nAWjRjzKlcHh...

klee12
TGP-B does issue K-1's
No. of Recommendations: 1
I own WFC-L. I don't like BAC-L, because it is potentially convertible and if it does then at this price you will lose money. OTOH, I own BAC-N, I traded couple of times, my purchase price is <$24.