Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi,

I have a dilemma facing me regarding disclosing personal information on a cover letter.  First I need to explain my situation.

For 20 years, I worked in the biotech field as a scientist.  Two and a half years ago, I lost my wife to cancer, leaving me to raise three young children.  While I tried to continue in my chosen field, it became very difficult if not impossible to work in a research lab in an effective and productive manner while dealing with raising kids as a single parent.  For instance, several day's worth of a study would have to be scrapped if I had to go pick up a sick child from day care.  Needing to leave precisely at 5:00 pm to pick up children made it impossible to perform experiments that extended past that time (as laboratory research work will often require).

In a nutshell, I needed to find a career that allowed me to have a more reliable 9 to 5 type schedule that could withstand the rigors of my need to leave work on behalf of my children at times, without loss of productivity.  A career where I could put down my work for the day at any time and return to it the next day, a scenario that was difficult at best in my scientific career.

I was able to very satisfying work in the quality assurance area of my company, fulfilling my criteria.  I had to take a significant cut in pay, however, but through other means I've been able to maintain the same kind of household income we had before my wife passed away.  Unfortunately, after 2 years now, there is a distinct possibility of a lay-off in the coming months at my company. 

I would like to continue in my new career should I have to look for a new job, but I don't know exactly how to go about selling myself.  If I choose to omit any information regarding my personal situation, then I'd be concerned that potential employers would look at my 20 years of prior scientific experience as a detriment because they may fear that I could easily (and more lucratively) return to that field, and therefore they may not want to take a chance on someone who is working on a new career.  On the other hand, too much personal information may be inappropriate and may be looked upon negatively as well. 

Is there a tactful and appropriate way that I can convey my need to change careers so that prospective employers will understand my situation and know that I am sincere in my desire to continue in my new career?  If there is a better way without disclosing the personal information, than when (if ever) would it be appropriate--perhaps 1st interview, or 2nd?

Thanks in advance for your responses,

Randy
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.