Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1

It's more than 16 hours since the Dallas Cowboys finished their first game of this season...the Cowboys lost to the Jacksonville Jaguars, 24-17. After racing out to a 10-0 lead, the Cowboys collapsed. They threw interceptions, dropped passes, allowed sacks, committed penalties.
--
After the late-night flight home from Jacksonville, he went to his condo to catch a few hours' sleep. He woke up not long after he nodded off, choking on his own bile. “It only happens to me during the football season,” he says. “It happens no other time of the year. And it wasn't something I ate.” After that, he couldn't sleep at all. He found that his ex-wife, Judy — they divorced in 2002, after 40 years of marriage — had left a message on his answering machine. She saw the game on TV. “Please don't let it affect your health,” she said.

He still returns in his mind to a question his wife often asked him: why do you do what you do? Coaching football doesn't make him obviously happy. Even in the beginning, in the late 1960's, when he was an assistant coach at West Point, he would come home after games so evidently displeased that his eldest daughter would sit on the sofa next to him, silently, and put on a long face. She was 5 years old and had no idea what had happened; she just picked it up from his expression that postgame wasn't happy time. “When my wife asked me that question,” he says, “I never had a good answer. There was no answer. There is no answer.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/29/sports/playmagazine/1029play_parcells.html?hp&ex=1162008000&en=00292a0d8a8a5745&ei=5094&partner=homepage
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.