Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
What kind of sewing do you do most often?
The size and type of sewing projects may determine which machine best suits your needs. That 1.5" extra space from the needle to the right side of the machine isn't significant, but if you do a lot of large quilts or other large bulky pieces, that 1.5" is something you may appreciate. The difference between 1.5" and 3" is more significant than you may think.

I used to do lots of clothing, but these days, I have been doing a lot of quilting. Typically, I'm doing baby quilts. I may need to drag a quilt with me to the store to see how it would work.

Does the 570 have the larger bobbin? I can't tell you how much I love that larger bobbin.
Yes, it does. Essentially, they seem to have updated the 570 to be really close to the 770 with the 9mm stitch, the Dual Feed, and the larger bobbin. What they neglected was to do anything to refresh the 7 series, and they now have a product positioning problem which they will need to solve.

There is a very small price difference between the 570QEE and the 770QE (which would include the embroidery module at the holiday sale), so it's something like a $300 difference which is nothing at the price of these machines.

So my trade-off seems to be new features vs. 1.5" of extra space. And having to modify my sewing area to fit a larger machine.

The problem, though, is I am not sure which machine I would get if either would fit, so this is a tough decision for me, but I really didn't want to have to wait another year for them to refresh the 7 series.

I did send Bernina a question to ask the minimum size cabinet opening needed (why aren't machine dimensions listed anywhere?), but have yet to hear back from them.

Does your dealer have a return policy if you decide you didn't make the right choice?

I did not think to ask about that, but I will do that. That might help me decide.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.