Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
What kind of taxes must be paid on a company 401K that I want to rollover into a new ROTH IRA ????? thanx in advance......Steve


The conversion from a Traditional IRA to a Roth IRA is taxed at your marginal tax rate. The amount of the conversion may throw you into a higher tax bracket. You should look at whether you need to pay estimated taxes to avoid underpayment penalties.

You cannot "technically" roll directly from a 401k to a Roth. Since it is a taxable event, your 401k provider is required to withhold 20%. Depending on your tax bracket, this may or may not cover your tax bill. Also, if you don't cover the 20% shortage within 60 days, that portion is considered a withdrawal.

If you don't meet any of the exceptions (if you're under 59 1/2 you probably don't) there is a 10% penalty on any withdrawal not rolled over into a traditional IRA or converted to the Roth.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.