Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Ok, my ketone strip 2 days ago was moderate. Yestarday none and today low. I believe there is a flux because I am still learning how to plan daily meals and eat enough calories while limiting my carbos. My blood sugar has been pretty good and my weekly averages (I have to test blood 4 times a day) were all in the lower part of the acceptable range. I believe with gestational diabetes, the normes are a little lower than Type II or I according to what I read.

I read with gestational diabetes that ketones means you are not getting enough calories and/or carbos. We went to the mall yestarday and I wasn't able to eat all of my required carbos for my snack. What do I do in a situation like that?.

I don't want to have to eat high fat and cholesterol hamburgers to get the carbs. The low to no carb food here is not transportable (sugar free jello, sugar free popsicles, sugar free pudding, etc) except sugar free cookies. Also, what is a good caloric food with low carbs that I can eat at night to stop the ketones?.

I didn't care for my nutrionist whatsoever. She just kept saying I have to eat this many carbohydrates. My insurance will not cover any more visits so I am lost what to do.

TIA,
-C
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Can you talk to someone at no charge at your local hospital? What about your baby doctor?

Fuskie
Who won't even attempt to spell the proper name?

Can you talk to someone at no charge at your local hospital? What about your baby doctor?

Congrats on the ballons. My husband called my drs office when the moderate came back. They called 3 hours later telling me not to worry about it. Not to worry about it??. Everything in my GD folder says "Have no ketones". I don't see my dr again until the 11th of next month. I will try to talk to her and if not, talk to my insurance company.

-C
Congrats on the ballons. My husband called my drs office when the moderate came back. They called 3 hours later telling me not to worry about it. Not to worry about it??. Everything in my GD folder says "Have no ketones". I don't see my dr again until the 11th of next month. I will try to talk to her and if not, talk to my insurance company.

Thanks. I did not even realize today was my Foolish Birthday!

First, don't panic. I realize telling a pregnant women not to panic when it comes to the health of her child is like telling a bull to be careful in a china shop, but don't panic. One reading is nothing to worry about. If you notice a pattern of increasing off-norm readings, then you and your doctor will discuss what needs to be done.

Diabetes is a creeping desease. Not creepy (although it is that), but one that creeps up on you. Those who are most negatively impacted are the ones who are not paying attention to what their bodies are telling them. That is what the 4/day BG tests and the keytones tests are for - to help you see when normal goes to not normal.

Ideally, keytones and BG levels would be perfect all the time. But with people like us that is no longer a possiblity. The doctor is only 2 weeks away, and it is not likely that anything untreatable will happen in that time. Creating stress for yourself is decidedly not in your best interests.

Fuskie
Who thinks talking to a self-serving insurance company is the last place to turn to for unbiased advice...
Who thinks talking to a self-serving insurance company is the last place to turn to for unbiased advice...

Of course lol. I meant to get them to cover the cost of seeing a nutrionist again instead of having to flip the whole bill.

-C
I meant to get them to cover the cost of seeing a nutrionist again instead of having to flip the whole bill.

You might be able to claim that the nutritionist shortchanged your visit by not providing actual nutrional advice, or else assumed that a follow-up visit would be necessary (my insurance covered 2 initial visits, I belive). If you make the argument that their approved choice was providing inadequate service, they may set you up with an alternate. But you should be able to get all your questions answered on line if you do your own research.

Fuskie
Who recommends WebMD...
No. of Recommendations: 1
C - Contacting the insurance company might be a really good idea. While I was pregnant my insurance company had a high-risk pregnancy case manager / nurse that I could call with questions and would call me periodically to make sure that everything was going fine.

Also, here are a few links on nutrition.

http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_food_diet/carb_counting.php

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_08_000.htm

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_08_400.htm

Snacks –
Carry with you a low carb meal replacement bar. It can carry easily in your purse for quite a long time before it turns into nothing but crumbs.

- Holly