No. of Recommendations: 0
Now I remember why I bought an answering machine in the first place! I have the day off today and answered the phone. It was a call from Providan today trying to get me to 'upgrade' my Platinum Visa to a Platinum Visa Web card. (What?? Like a 'regular' old Visa or Master Card aren't web compatible?) Told the lady twice I wasn't interested. Then she tries to get me to agree to transfer $11,000 off my First USA and Citibank accounts to them. (I owe FUSA $343.82 and nothing on Citibank). Again, told her no.

Then she starts on a "what do you have against debt consolidation" type of questioning. I told her I did not like the way they required 'proof' of current interest rates by requiring copies of your current statements from competitors, and I also told her that they first time I did this I was given incorrect information and ended up paying 12.99% on a debt that had been 9.99%. (My fault, I believed the saleswoman about it being 7.99% fixed~she didn't tell me {or I failed to realize in the hurry of getting a better rate} it was a three month only deal and then they would 'adjust' the rate to beat the "average" of their rivals).

After I finally convince her I am not interested in the 'upgrade' or 'consolidation' program, she begins part 3 of her quest: sign up for "account protection". I told her no. She went on about how it can freeze your account and defer payments for 18 months in case of job loss or illness. I tell her no a second time. She rattled on a minute or two more and gets ready to end the call by saying "The first month is free so we'll get you signed up right now." By now I have lost all patience. I very firmly told her "NO". She keeps right on rattling….I interrupt her and tell her "no" twice more. She started to say something else and I very loudly, very firmly tell her "NO. Do NOT sign me up for ANYTHING."

Although my ear didn't hear it, my mind quite loudly heard the 'humph' before she said 'Thank you for your time and have a good new year."

I think I'd have a much better year if they just learn what "NO" is the FIRST time you say it!!
Print the post Back To Top
Wow! You have a lot more patience than I do. I just say "No, I don't need any more credit." *click*

And hang up. I don't bother listening to any more of their sales speech. It is a waste of time.

-Matt
Wow! You have a lot more patience than I do. I just say "No, I don't need any more credit." *click*

That's about my response on those rare occasions that they get me on the phone. Unless it's something I am interested in, like LD phone service from one of the big 3 companies (I love their incentives to join), in which case I say "Can you send me information on that?" and just stick with that. If they can't send me the info in writing, I don't want to do business with them. Everyone else just gets "Nope, not interested." >click!< And I pity the ones who call on a weekend morning -- "You better have a darned good reason for calling at this hour!" in a sleepy, annoyed voice gets them off the phone in a hurry.

One really annoying thing was the number of calls I got from Omaha Steaks, a company I usually like. I got 4 calls from them this holiday season -- 2 messages on my answering machine at home, and a call at work, at which point I said not to call back. Come back from Christmas with the Parental Units and what's on my office voicemail? A message from Omaha Steaks! Go fig!

Kaiti
Hah! I was reading this thread and one thought came to mind.

Having bad credit DOES have its rewards folks! No calls from sales people at 9am on a saturday morning asking you to transfer balances....no "Payment Insurance" sales calls.....

Hah!

Visa doesnt call me, Bank Of America doesnt call me, Providian doesnt call me, Citibank doesnt call me.....no one calls me asking me to transfer balances from my "high rate" cards to their "lovely one-time rate of 0.00% APR and get this FREE life-time supply of dish-washer detergent!!!"

Nope!

None of that!

fool on!

~f.
"She started to say something else and I very loudly, very firmly tell her "NO. Do NOT sign me up for ANYTHING."
Although my ear didn't hear it, my mind quite loudly heard the 'humph' before she said 'Thank you for your time and have a good new year."
I think I'd have a much better year if they just learn what "NO" is the FIRST time you say it!!"

Don't even listen - just hang up before they get started.
Don't even listen - just hang up before they get started.

I usually tell telemarketers that I'm really interested but I have something on the stove I have to take care of. Then I set the phone down and wait to see how long it takes them to realize that I'm not coming back.

Leviathan
You'll never get rid of these calls unless you develop a broken-record ability to say, "Put me on your do-not-call list." Only then will the pitch stop and they'll quit calling back.
You'll never get rid of these calls unless you develop a broken-record ability to say, "Put me on your do-not-call list." Only
then will the pitch stop and they'll quit calling back.

My sister has a very interesting device attached to her phone. Whenever you get a telemarketing call, you press a button and hang up the phone. The device holds the line just long enough to play back a message which states in a professional sounding male voice, "The number you have reached does not accept this type of call. Please consider this as notification to remove this number from your calling list. Thank you. Goodbye."

lamarama
Don't you just hate those. It depends on my mood how I respond to those telemarketers. If I am in a bad mood, I ask for the rep's name, company name,call back number,supervisor's name,badge number and how they got my information. After I get something from them I will tell them to take me off there list. and if they call again I will call the BBB and attorney general for harrassment. Or sometimes, I ask them to hold on and just the phone down with the mute button on. Or, I figure, they, like most telemarketers ask at least three times before letting you go. They hate it when you interrupt them, because they read from a script, you could have some fun and just ask them to repeat themselves or just ask a whole bunch of questions while they are talking. Sometimes I just say no and hang up, right off the bat.

Just my thoughts only
My sister has a very interesting device attached to her phone. Whenever you get a telemarketing call, you press a button and hang up the phone. The device holds the line just long enough to play back a message which states in a professional sounding male voice, "The number you have reached does not accept this type of call. Please consider this as notification to remove this number from your calling list. Thank you. Goodbye."

lamarama,

LOL! I love it! Can we ask your sister where to get one of those little devices?

I hate being rude to people (even CC salesmen have to earn a living, too), but do they have to be so hard-sell on everything??

I do like Leviathan's method (telling them to hold on and then putting the phone down til they hang up). I'll have to remember this one!

Ange

>Don't even listen - just hang up before they
>get started.

I am against being rude, PERIOD. I don't treat others poorly. I won't be rude to a poor operator who is trying to earn a dollar to probably feed his or her family. Nope, I won't hang up and or be rude. Instead, I hear what they have to say and politely tell them that I am not interested, period. If they call you to transfer balances, which, trust me, has saved me tons in interest in the past, just say that you just paid off your credit cards and have zero balance now, and that you will keep it at zero from now on. Tell them the same thing if they want to sell you insurance. Just tell them that you either have zero balance or that you will be paying it off within that week, or something along those lines so they won't go on an don. But be sensitive to others.
They have always got the message from me without feeling offended. My point is to try to treat others like we would like to be treated if we were just doing our jobs to earn our money to support our families.

I am not in the sales or telemarketing business by the way.

Carlos.
"The number you have reached does not accept this type of call. Please consider this as notification to remove this number from your calling list. Thank you. Goodbye."

Okay, lamarama, spill!

What is the make and model number of this phone? I want to put it on my wish list. : )

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
I have to admit that I belong to this school of thought. I am polite and say it once after that, click!

Catleen
Please post that info on the boards. Sounds like I could use one as well.

Catleen
"I am against being rude, PERIOD. I don't treat others poorly. I won't be rude to a poor operator who is trying to earn a dollar to probably feed his or her family. Nope, I won't hang up and or be rude."

Carlos,
I never advocated being rude. By hanging up, the quicker I end the call. the quicker thet can move on to the next victim . . . I mean customer. I believe in the "don't call us, we'll call you" strategy. Bottom line - I feel no obligation to take unsolicited calls of any sort, and have no problem hanging up on them. It goes with the territory.
johnmoni
No. of Recommendations: 1
Try using the Telephone Consumer Protection Act rules.

See http://www.stopjunkcalls.com/

I won $4,500 from one call.
CharginFool wrote:
I think I'd have a much better year if they just learn what "NO" is the FIRST time you say it!!
You have a lot more patience than I do. I don't waste 10 seconds of my time on solicitation calls any more. As soon as I know it's going to be some kind of sales pitch I say, "I'm not interested," and hang up the phone. I don't wait for any reply or acknowledgement.

One person made the stupid mistake of immediately calling back. They started to say something about my not understanding the nature of the call. I cut the lady off in mid-sentence and asked, "What part of 'I'm not interested' don't you understand?" She sheepishly wished me a good day and hung up.

Foolishly trying,
Lee
Regarding telemarketing calls, I thought I would relate an interesting experience I recently had.

A few weeks ago, I was at a friend's apartment waiting for her to return from an errand she was running. She was expecting a call from here parents and had told me to answer the phone because her answering machine was broken. I answered a call, which of course, was a solicitation of some kind. The conversation that followed went something like this:

CALLER: Would you be interested in signing up for for our super gimmick widgits X, Y or Z?

ME: I'm sorry, I don't live here and am not authorizied to make such decisions.

CALLER: Well, can I speak with someone who is?

ME: She's not here at the moment, I'm sorry. Perhaps I could have her return your call. What is your number and extension.

CALLER: Actually, I work out of my home. A computer dials the numbers and connects me to you.

ME: Well, how about giving me your home number then?

CALLER: I don't think that would be appropriate.

ME: Why not?

CALLER: Well, I don't want to be called at home.

ME: Bingo... <click>

For the record, while this idiot was tying up my friend's line, her parents attempted to call. (She does not pay for call waiting). It thought it was most amusing that the caller had a complete double standard when it came to calling someone at home.
For those interested in the product lamarama described, I have seen it in the "Hello Direct" catalogues. If I recall correctly, it is a relatively inexpensive attachment to the hand set cord. I will try and find and post the information. In the mean-time, anyone interested can try calling Hello Direct at 1-800-HI-HELLO (1-800-444-3556).
Well, I called my sister to find out where she got that thing. Apparently she got it from Radio Shack a long time ago.

Judging by the interest from this board... market demand would dictate that they probably still sell them.

lamarama
While we're on the subject...
You know what really ticks me off? The calls that don't come through. I get more of those than live telemarketers. The phone rings, I pick up, say hello, and nobody is there. Which is also how I know live telemarketers before they speak, because there is always that PAUSE....CLICK before they pick up.

Argh. My college roomie had someone try to sell her car insurance. When she informed them that she didn't OWN A CAR, they kept on going saying that she needed it for driving other people's cars. I think they finally hung up when she suggested she could get a car through theft...and if they would insure it.

--argh
Personally, I just tell them I'm not interested and then hang up. If you don't hang up, they always go on and on, so hanging up is the only way for them to really 'know' that you arent interested. Apparently some people are actually turned around after saying they aren't interested.

You have to be rude. If a telemarketer can't handle someone being rude to them, they shouldn't be a telemarketer (of course nobody should really be a telemarketer anyways).

I tried it for a while in high school (selling season tickets to the Atlanta Ballet... hey, at least it wasn't "Light Bulbs Sold by the Handicapped"), and about 80% of my calls were people who hung up on me, insulted me, wasted my time on purpose or were just plain nasty... and these were usually lists of people who had bought tickets before.

I think you have every right to be rude to someone who interrupts you in your own home to make a commission for themselves.

lamarama
I'm not 100% sure but I could swear I saw that phone thingy on the checkout rack at Lowe's the other day. It was small and cheap and caught my eye. With a new phone #, the telemarketers haven't reached the level of annoyance - yet - so I didn't pick it up.

WildcatFool
:-)
Personally, I just tell them I'm not interested and then hang up. If you don't hang up, they always go on and on, so hanging up is the only way for them to really 'know' that you arent interested. Apparently some people are actually turned around after saying they aren't interested.

You have to be rude. If a telemarketer can't handle someone being rude to them, they shouldn't be a telemarketer (of course nobody should really be a telemarketer anyways).

No, you have to be ABSOLUTELY ADAMANT and say "No" at least 3 times. If you aren't, the telemarketer can get fired for letting you go too easy. And yes, some people are turned around.

Rudeness, however, is NEVER required. "Thanks but no thanks, and put me on your no-call list" >click< is sufficient.

Kaiti
Gee, with a device like that, I could start answering the phone again, instead of screening all my calls through the answering machine. My friends and family will be delighted!
My reaction also depends on my mood, but most of the time I like to just put down the phone as they ramble on. I come back in about 5 minutes and hang up the phone. Once I came back after 5 minutes and the person was still rambling on, oblivious to the fact that they were only talking to themselves. I agree with johnmoni, it comes with the territory.

Smitty
While we're on the subject...
You know what really ticks me off? The calls that don't come through. I get more of those than live telemarketers. The phone rings, I pick up, say hello, and nobody is there. Which is also how I know live telemarketers before they speak, because there is always that PAUSE....CLICK before they pick up.

This drives me crazy too. I get so many of them. When I use *69 to see who called, I am told they can not return my call, which means it was from a payphone, cell phone or out of my area. I would guess, most telemarketers are out of my area.

Utahtea

This drives me crazy too. I get so many of them. When I use *69 to see who called, I am told they can not return my call, which means it was from a payphone, cell phone or out of my area. I would guess, most telemarketers are out of my area.
===
Also there is a way as that you can type in a *69-type code before you call so they can't *69.

Do you suppose these people are doing that??? I wondered about this before. Does anyone know?
<<My sister has a very interesting device attached to her phone. Whenever you get a telemarketing call, you press a button and hang up the phone. The device holds the line just long enough to play back a message which states in a professional sounding male voice, "The number you have reached does not accept this type of call. Please consider this as notification to remove this number from your calling list. Thank you. Goodbye."

lamarama,>>

<LOL! I love it! Can we ask your sister where to get one of those little devices?>

I found if you go to Yahoo, click on shopping, and search for 'Telephone Solicitor' you'll find it. That took me to http://store.yahoo.com/seniorshops/easyhangup.html

Hope this helps!

Frehley
>>>>>>>>>>>>>I hate being rude to people (even CC salesmen have to earn a living, too)<<<<<<<<<<<

"Calling it your job do(es)n't make it right Boss.."

- Cool Hand Luke
I got a call a while back from someone trying to sell something. I listened to part of the spiel and when they stopped to take a breathe I said, "No, thank you, I am not interested." Which of course, started the hard sell. I replied again, "No, thank you I am not interested" and hung up.

About five minutes later, I got another call from the person's supervisor who wanted to know why did I hang up. I explained once again, that I was not interested and they started the hard sell. And again I hung up.

Guess they really couldn't take No as an answer.
I know what you mean. I said no to NADN hung up and two days later here they come again. I said no and explained that I didn't give out my credit card to anyone and believe it or not caved in and did just that after another 20 minutes on the phone. I can't believe I did it. Mental lapse or what? Now I am wondering what they are. Are they legit or are they a rip off? National Audit Defense Network Inc. Do you know anything about them? My E-mail address is norma_sharon@hotmail.com. Apreciate any info you can give.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm surprised you let her waste your time like that. Never let a telemarketer waste your time because believe it or not, they are tracking how long you stay on the phone with them. You just set yourself up for more annoying calls because you've shown them that you are at least willing to listen to them.

Next time they call, say "I'm not interested in anything you have to offer, do not call me again, EVER." and hang up.

Cherry
Re: What part of NO don't they get?
----

Well, all of it.

I know lots of folks on these boards like to play with the minds of telemarketers, but personally, I don't like wasting my time or breath.

In our house, we've given up on pure civility. If we even get such phone calls (which we rarely do, because we've been so vigilant in getting us off ALL telemarketing lists via DMA), we don't even answer the question as to whether or not we're interested (this includes charities). Our answer is short and pat:

"Please put our name and number on your Do Not Call List. Thank you."

And then we hang up.

Get repeat offenders? Remind them that you've already requested to be put on their Do Not Call List, and you've given them a couple weeks to get themselves organized. After that, it's called Harassment, thank you for your time.

They'll get the message.

The only time I put up with this type of harassment is when I call them to get information or my name removed, and I put up with it because they are taking forever to confirm it's done (at which point I ask to speak to a supervisor).

Go get 'em, Fool.
>>>>>This drives me crazy too. I get so many of them. When I use *69 to see who called, I am told they can not return my call, which means it was from a payphone, cell phone or out of my area. I would guess, most telemarketers are out of my area.
===
Also there is a way as that you can type in a *69-type code before you call so they can't *69.

Do you suppose these people are doing that??? I wondered about this before. Does anyone know? <<<<<<<

------------------------------------------------------
You can dial *67 before placing a call (I'm told that if you don't have a touch-tone phone you can dial 1167 with the same effect if your area is set up for it). This creates a one-time block of your number so that the called party cannot get your number if they *69 you. You can even request of the phone company that your number be permanently blocked without having to remember to dial *67 first before calls you wish to place in this manner.

Things to be aware of, though:

1) Some callers have their accounts set up NOT to accept blocked calls and you may not be able to place that call if you had done *67 or if you had a block permanently placed on outgoing calls. In this case, to complete the call, if desired, you would have to enter yet another "star code" [forget what it is just now] to create a temporary override to place that call, and then the caller CAN choose to see your number.

2) These call features are not yet available everywhere, so your service provider would have to tell you what's available in your area. Generally the use of *67 (or permanent blocking) is free but the use of *69 carries a charge.

I don't know whether telemarketers are tracking YOUR phone number with *69 should you somehow call them, but *67 seems like a great first defense. Hope this helped!

xraymd
<<My sister has a very interesting device attached to her phone. Whenever you get a telemarketing call, you press a button and hang up the phone. The device holds the line just long enough to play back a message which states in a professional sounding male voice, "The number you have reached does not accept this type of call. Please consider this as notification to remove this number from your calling
list. Thank you. Goodbye.">>

I found if you go to Yahoo, click on shopping, and search for 'Telephone Solicitor' you'll find it. That took me to http://store.yahoo.com/seniorshops/easyhangup.html

Thanks for the link. For what it's worth: Hello Direct does not carry it anymore. However, the manufacturer of the Easy Hang Up device is a company called Phonex, reachable at (800)437-0101.
You can dial *67 before placing a call (I'm told that if you don't have a touch-tone phone you can dial 1167 with the same effect if your area is set up for it). This creates a one-time block of your number so that the called party cannot get your number if they *69 you. You can even request of the phone company that your number be permanently blocked without having to remember to dial *67 first before calls you wish to place in this manner.

It should be noted, however, that *67 (caller ID blocking, but it also blocks Return Call/*69) will not block display of your nubers to 911 or to 800/888/877 and 900 numbers.

Fool on!
-Terry
Before you go out and buy a device to do your dirty work for you, make sure it says the right thing. It is my understanding that "Take me off your list" and "Put me on your 'do not call list'" are two very different things in the telemarketing world.

Telemarketers work off lists that they usually purchase from someone else for a one-time use. They are happy to take you off that list because they can't use it again anyway. However, each telemarketer is required to keep a "do not call" list that they have to match up with any subsequent lists they purchase.

If someone knows that this understanding is incorrect, please enlighten us. I have noticed a mark drop in telemarketing calls since taking this approach.

Be firm Fools!

B.