Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 4
What should he do?

1. Take a chill pill.

2. Realize that it is HIS return that was wrong by claiming his exemption. He is under 19. His parents, (or in this case the legal guardian) is entitled to his personal exemption.

3. Take another chill pill, because he's going to pay a few dollars in tax (or his refund is going down by a few dollars). His standard deduction is $6100, so he's going to have about $40 in tax.

Next year will be a different issue.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.