Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
What sort of IRA would allow me to withdraw small amounts?

Assuming you are rolling the money to a Traditional IRA, you need to check with the trustee (bank, brokerage, etc.) to see if they have any limitations on the withdrawals that can be made.

Since the withdrawals will be premature (assuming you are under 59 1/2), the trustee will be required to withhold 20% for Federal taxes - not sure if there is a requirement for CA taxes. However, as pointed out upthread, you may owe close to 50% of withdrawal amount in taxes, so be sure to set some of the money aside to make quarterly estimated tax payments and/or pay when you file.

You can read IRS pub 590 for additional details. If you are still taking classes for the bar, you should read this pub to see if some of your education expenses will exempt you from some/all of the 10% penalty.

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.