Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I have another 3 years left on the note for my V6 Passat. I am completely satisfied with the car (other than minor electrical hiccups), but I'm having a hard time with the idea of ponying up for another 36 months.

My short-term personal goal is to be debt-free, other than the car and motorcycle, by my 30th birthday in December. I'm considering trading in my VW for a cheaper vehicle that perhaps better suits my lifestyle now, anyway (used '98, 99 Wrangler). I can haul the dog, tow my motorcycle, and pay off that note in 12-18 months. I'll sooner be able to address paying off the bike and saving in a more unholy manner for retirement.

Has anyone bailed on a car they liked owning just because they were greedy about not having a car note?

Susan
(love that W8, though)
Print the post Back To Top
(love that W8, though)

Somebody is soon going to own a new W8!!!!!!!!!!! (Walking away, hands behind back, whistling...)

If you do anything but go for the 1.8T... ;)

- Sco
If you do anything but go for the 1.8T... ;)

I can't really bring myself to buy a 4-cylinder car. Nope, it's 6 or 8 for me, but first, I want to be debt free.

So what's your opinion? :)
I can't really bring myself to buy a 4-cylinder car.

I'd much rather be driving a 4-cylinder miata than an 8-cylinder grand marquis. Engine size is pretty far down the list when it comes to what makes a car worth keeping (imnsho).

- Nugget
(who has enjoyed the hell out of every 4-cylinder car he's ever owned but is currently driving a 6-cylinder car)
I go along with the 4 cyl thinking as fars as what makes a car a keeper.

I have driven everything from 3 cyl SAAB's to v12 Jags, it was not the engine that made the car in each case.

With the variability of gas the 4 seems to make as much cents as any, and with a good handleing package they can be fun to drive.
So what's your opinion? :)

Imho, the 1.8T is the enthusiast' choice. The aftermarket has been so good for that engine, even the north-south setup in the Passat and A4. When it comes to chips, my APR will douse much of the flames from many others. And get better mileage. Oh yeah...

- Sco
I'd much rather be driving a 4-cylinder miata than an 8-cylinder grand marquis. Engine size is pretty far down the list when it comes to what makes a car worth keeping (imnsho).

- Nugget

Oh!!! You've stabbed me in the heart, Nugget! I own TWO Grand Marquises. I've owned one since I bought it new (1988) and it now has 203,000 miles on it. I drive it hard every day, and, thanks to a lot of TLC, still moves out when I want it to. I just bought a 1987 in February http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=16844732&sort=username with 169,000 miles on it that looks and rides even better than my 1988! Not that I don't like Miatas, I just can't fit into one! :-)

Charles

<<Engine size is pretty far down the list when it comes to what makes a car worth keeping (imnsho).>>

I know. Sorta like when I said years ago I'd never buy anything but American cars. I might get over it.

And yes, I wouldn't call the W8 a Passat, but honestly, my 99 VW has some luxury features that my ex's 2000 GS400 didn't have.

*shrug*

yeah

right now i drive a grand marquis for a demo-fine car, very comfortable, all the toys. but i'd swap for a nissan sentra with the 175 horse motor and the six speed and i think its called a v package or r package or some kind of alphabet soup designation from our store down the street in a heartbeat.

nissans are not on my menu tho.
a nissan sentra with the 175 horse motor and the six speed and i think its called a v package or r package or some kind of alphabet soup designation from our store down the street in a heartbeat.

Its the SE-R spec V.

The SE-R is 165 hp and a 5-speed or auto, the spec V is the real hot one you speak of...

I'm thinking of a little more practical car... a Subaru WRX wagon...:-)

-B
MsV,

I think you should rank two things:

1) How well do you know the history of the Jeep, and it's projected durability?
2) What will be your projected cash outlay to maintain your car?

Unless you know the ins and the outs of the jeep, you may be buying a sink hole for cash. The VW (although not my cup of tea) has a known history... yours.

Can you pay off the bike first? Can you get a home equity line of credit for the vw (lower rate, and tax deductible?)

When it comes to unknows, I get conservative.

Hope this helps...

Chuck