Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello, Fools.

I'm new to the forum, so I'm hoping that this is the right place to put my query. I have spent the past 9 months or so Foolishly arranging my personal finances and for the most part, have been successful. The one exception is, as you may guess by the subject line, my student loans. I spent four years at 'Wise Man medical school' which has left me with six figure loan debt, certainly nothing that I can hope to wipe out within the next 5 years. The only good aspect of my loans is that the interest was low (all in the range of 5 to 8%) and mostly deferred until a few years after graduation.

My question is this: Should I plod through and pay off the loans on schedule, which will take about 9 more years and eat up 25% of my net income, or should I consolidate and (Foolishly) invest the difference? I can consolidate all of them into a new rate of 6.6% and cut my monthly loan payments to about 13% of my net take home pay. Of course, the total repayment lengthens, to about 30 years, and the total amount I pay over the course of the loan would increase by 120%. I know that every situation is different, but if any Fools out there have personal experience or advice it would be greatly appreciated.
Print the post  

Announcements

Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.