Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I have 7500 in an old ING 401k plan and it's not doing anything. I recently had a garnishment levied for some old court costs to the tune off 20% a pay period. Not catastrophic, but painful for the next 4 cycles. In addition to that I will have some addition court costs to pay in early June and other irregular fees that will put a considerable strain on my budget.

i would like to take a disbursement of that old 401k, but the taxes will probably knock the actual amount I receive to 5k. I was thinking that I should take half and roll that into a Roth IRA on TradeKing and take the remainder as a disbursement to help with the upcoming financial issues or put it in a TK brokerage account and trade FAS/FAZ for a couple of weeks to increase the available cash.

I figure I will pay tax on a smaller amount and the pain won't be as great while guaranteeing some long-term results while trying to make some more cash for the coming problems.

Do you agree/disagree with this strategy?

Should I get my disbursement paid in installments to Trade King or have the whole thing paid to them and then use what is left over after the Roth contribution cap is reached?

I'm not sure I can afford the time between the transfer from ING to TK Roth and then into brokerage account. I'm also not sure TK can/will deposit the remainder into a brokerage account or if it will defer that amount into another RIRA or what. . .

I'm 30 years from retirement and I'm in the 25% bracket currently.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.