Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi there. I am a young, single woman who is faced with some tough decisions about my own retirement planning. It's "open enrollment time" and I need to redirect my investments.

First off, I'd like to hear what percentage of your incomes you Fools save, and why.

I figure this will give me a place of reference from which to make an educated decision for myself. I've been saving 10% pre-tax, then an additional $2K post-tax in a Roth IRA, per year. This is a tidy sum for someone of my age and situation; however, it is tough for me to do both.

I need to face facts: retirement is a long way off and there are some more immediate concerns. I hate to do this, because I am in love with the power of compounding, but I think I will need to REDUCE my retirement savings... and instead build an emergency fund. As long as I still save SOME for retirement, I figure I should be OK.

Also, what is an average percent of income needed in retirement?

I've heard 50%, 60%, 70%. I know that amount will vary, but I want to hear first-hand accounts. Thanks!

I've got $1300/mo rent, student loans, and a (fairly modest) car loan, and it is hurting me. I wish I could give up the apartment and rent a room for half the price, but life would hardly be worth living if I had to monitor every stray hair I left on the floor, etc. I figure, if I am a working adult, having my own small apartment (1 bedroom) is not SO much of a luxury.

Any tips, advice, or other Foolishness is greatly appreciated!

--AliFool
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.