Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
What tool do you use for screening? I'm not familiar with SI Pro.

Hi Redneck -- I loved your posts on the search engines in other boards!

So you have quickly hit on the main issue. It is not really practical to try to export the screen or make it work in Excel, etc. The reason is that over the last 2 years or so I have started putting together a framework for doing fundamentals-based screening. The source for company data is SI Pro (an AAII product, with data derived from Reuter's; you can find out about it here: http://www.aaii.com/store/sipro/index.cfm?section=stocks. But I do not use the SI Pro screens or the GUI that comes with it except for doing simple lookups of the data (no screening). Instead, I figured out the format of the data files, disassembled them, and convert them into a simple flat-file delimited format. I then wrote scripts that parse that file and so I have access, in a fully-featured programming language (perl; could also be C/C++ or Java, etc.) to all the data in the SI Pro database. Its user-friendly factor is approximately zero :-(. Over time I've accumulated lots of useful functions to extract data, run regressions, do historical testing (back tests), etc. It has evolved in a meandering fashion over time so it is also not well structured. So you see the issues....

And that becomes one of the limitations to this approach. I think one model that works is that the screens can be worked out with input from others, I run them and post results regularly in some fashion, either on the boards or on a web site. See the BMW screen for an example (http://invest.kleinnet.com/bmw1). That gets a huge amount of new data generated each week and gets lots of hits from users.

-Mike
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.