Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
What vaccinations do cats need aside from rabies?

Hi Megan!

Well, distemper is one vaccine I know of that's important. That was most likely given with the rabies vaccine.

The other biggie (and somewhat controversial) is Feline Leukemia. Most vets today will tell you that this vaccine is vital if your cat goes outside. However, it's when the cat (like our Himalayan, Sami) is totally indoors that the issue of Feline Lukemia vaccine becomes highly debated. I've done a lot of research and spoken to many sources and the general feeling is that if the cat never goes outside, then it's better to avoid this vaccine as there have been links to cancerous tumors.

Either way, it is important that cats are screened for leukemia early. I highly recommend, from experience however, that you don't have the test done too soon--wait until the cat is 6 months old. Kittens can actually show the leukemia antibody before that time, and the scare is just not worth it.

We had Sami tested as soon as we got her, and the test came back positive. We were wrecks! Finally, after a re-test, it came back negative. That's how we learned that many vets tell you to not even check until 6 months of age.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.