Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 67
What we do need is purebred, adult-level, well-formed ideas--and dissent on ideas--and thinkers who are outside the margins, not just those happy to conform within the increasing narrow ones we find closing in on this site. We need ideas and dissent, not pablum and pulp; the former are what make the world spin.

Neofool22

Then why take an innocuous post of Bogey's enjoyment and spin it into a childish tantrum about your views on the deficiencies of TMF? Surely if you believe in what you wrote above you would respond differently than you did. I see no 'purebred, adult-level, well-formed idea' in how you chose to find a sub-text existing in only your mind upon which to comment. I found your post opportunistic and self-serving at best.

You view is that TMF is paternalistic and that through this the quality of discussion is limited to the boundaries set by that. Your argument is that ideas are not able to flourish in such an environment. Can you show me elsewhere, in Internet discussion boards of similar size and reach, where a lack of 'paternalism' has resulted in a furtherance of ideas? Yahoo where the filters are such that anyone believing four-letter swearwords constitutes an adult response can do so?

You equate censorship of words with the censorship of ideas. I really don't see how you can – as an educated person – believe this. Do you have a problem with TMF's insistence on civility believing that an argument is reinforced through incivility?

Or is it that you believe that any enforcement of any rules of engagement is itself a censorship? If so, then you and I are on opposite sides. I do not believe that civility and the demand of it is a slippery slope into whatever it is you believe the slippery slope leads to.

For crying out loud, Bogey had a nice weekend with his family and shared it as that. How you found his post as leverage into an expression of paternalism simply boggles the mind.

MichaelR

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.