Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
What were the prices like in previous games? And how close to a sellout did they get for the OC? (I didn't see all, but it looked like a pretty good crowd).

I know I'm late to this, but having survived the Atlanta Olympics, I can add a bit to this. The ticket prices were usually outrageous, especially if it was a popular sport. Most of the games in Atlanta sold out. All the tickets that were sold early were very costly. The prices came down later when they tried to fill the seats.
We got tickets for the Bronze in Baseball fairly inexpensively, as the Americans were heavily favored for the gold. They lost one of the last games and had to play for the Bronze and there were people everywhere trying to get tickets. If I had had an ounce of brains, I would have sold our tickets for a few hundred (or more).
The OC tickets were unbelievably outrageous, and they sold out with lightning speed.
The crowd in Atlanta was mostly American. Most of these countries do not have the disposable personal income that Americans have, but the IOC has been spoiled by having the games in the States. They haven't figured out that other places just simply cannot command the prices they get in the US.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.