Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
What will the rest of your 2002 tax return look like?

Unless you expect to have capital losses [whether current or carryover] in 2002 to shelter the gain from the sale of your house, you should be making *other* plans about the sale.

Since you will not have held [owned] the house for more than a year, the gain from its sale will be *short* term capital gain, and will be taxed as if it were ordinary income. That is, unless you have capital *losses* [short-term or long-term, they both work for this purpose] to shelter [offset] the $70,000 gain from the sale of the house.

I'm happy you're making a bunch of money on the sale, but I **know** you don't want to give 40 or maybe even closer to 50% of the gain to the government!!!

Project your taxable income for 2002, including the gain from the house, and including any current or carryover capital losses you'll have, and you'll see that you will save a *lot* of taxes either because you have a heckofalotof capital losses [for which I'm sorry] or by postponing the sale [settlement] of your house by a month or two.

C'mon back.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.