Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
What will you do for living costs? It seems you either spend the SS on living costs and leave your investments alone or you cash out on some of your investments for living costs and invest the SS. Seems like a zero sum result.

PSU

I think you miss my point. If you need the money you take SS early. But if you don't need it, which is better, getting the 8% that Murph says you get from leaving it alone or investing it yourself in the hope of a CAGR higher than the 8% SS gives you. Murph is OK with the 8%.

I'm not saying which is better, only that until now the issue had not been raised. But it is not a zero sum game at all. You can invest better or worse than 8%.

Denny Schlesinger
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.