Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 26
So I'm struggling.

If we were in some genuine banana republic, and the local Jefe intended to subvert whatever level of democracy was in place, what would be different that what Trump has done?

Trying to plant dirt on a primary political opponent by strong-arming an ally?
Calling investigative journalism "fake news?"
Installing his guys as head of the military at the last minute?
Packing the courts with incompetent partisans?
Telling the head of a justice division to call the election corrupt?
Developing massive propaganda campaigns to erode confidence in both elections and reality?
Whipping supporters into a frenzy and having them attack the seat of government?

I mean, other than assassinating political adversaries, what did Trump not try?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Banana Republics usually have nicer weather.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Trump made it very clear that he loved the authoritarian model of government. He sucked up to the worst autocrats around the world. He 'joked' about being 'President for life'.
He 'joked' about being 'President for life'.

I'm not convinced he was joking about that.

--Peter
No. of Recommendations: 7
The terrifying thing is the Republican Party is primed to try it all again.

Using various methods to undermine true representative democracy the Minority Republican Party (24% of registered voters) is slatted to take control of our country in either of the next two elections.

In this time of worsening Climate Disaster, ongoing Pandemic, economic dislocation, huge wealth imbalance -- the science denying, beachward thinking, fact fee, anti democratic, unAmerican Republican Party will bring mass death, martial law, and destruction to our country.

I don't see how anybody can call themselves a patriot and support what currently passes for the Republican Party.
Yeah. Upon further reflection, I'm not sure he didn't try assassinating his political rivals. It just so happened he got the "I advertise my hitman skills in the Soldier of Fortune classifieds" contingent.

Gravy SEALS! HooAH!
No. of Recommendations: 1
I don't see how anybody can call themselves a patriot and support what currently passes for the Republican Party.

They can call themselves anything--doesn't make it true.
And I forgot about slowing down the post office crap. I'm sure there's more.
No. of Recommendations: 6
And I forgot about slowing down the post office crap. I'm sure there's more.

You left out Covid. How many deaths is Trump responsible for? Impossible to estimate accurately. But it's murder no less, and on a large scale. In my opinion it is his #1 crime. And we're STILL feeling the effects.

I can't think of any dictator who used a plague to gain power. Trump tried. In his sick mind the pandemic was a way to unify his supporters. And now we have DeSantis and Abbott doing the same thing.