Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
What would you do if you had an accident and couldn't work or were laid off....

That would be a nightmare with no savings and four hungry mouths. Especially with a family you need to generate an emergency fund. Say, six months of living expenses for your family (bare minimum budget). The going e-fund standards on the other boards are at least three, maybe six months of living expenses. This is your contingency fund you don't want tied up in stocks, 401K, or anything else (try a Credit Union interest bearing account or money market fund). IMHO, it should be the minimum for any family and one wage earner.

In my opinion the e-fund is before any other spending/paying back. Emergencies are not predictable, by definition.

Then I would get the free money with the 401K match, no more, until the student loans were paid off. Why? Because I want to have a positive net worth. Sure, I can take the tax deduction on the student loans for 60 months and I will try to get it paid off in that time frame.

E-fund should be non-negotiable with kids. Then 401K free money. Then get that monkey off your back, get a positive net worth by paying off the loans. Federal loans can be defered if an emergency happens and you have financial hardship. Private loans may not be that easy. Then start investing with a DRP, CD, IRA, whatever.

Just my holy opinion.
Mangard
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.