Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 5
What you do in retirement is pretty much determined by your/spouse's/family's health, wealth, interests/hobbies, energy/drive, intellectual curiosity, desire for physical challenge, enjoyment of DIY vs preference for being waited on. hmm, just like one's pre-retirement life ;-)

Caregiving for a spouse with advanced dementia limits me to staying close to home other than errands and walks, reading, listening to music, watching tv, cooking, chores, talking/texting on the phone--frequently interrupted by making sure the hubster isn't getting into mischief (and if he is, trying to handle it--sometimes easier said than done). Also trying to handle the health & happiness of someone who can barely communicate.

At the moment my sleep is interrupted by his loud snoring. Not typical, so I hope this isn't the new normal. (No, I can't sleep with earplugs because I can't tolerate items in my ears--can't use phone earbuds either.)

Luckily post-retirement and pre-dementia I got to live my travel dreams, including lots of fun planning, plus attending performances, spending time with people I like.

NB More people wish they'd retired earlier than wish they retired later.

Ahhh...the snoring magically reduced to a dull roar. I could sleep if I weren't fully awake =8-0 Luckily I have some books online, plaus I can se what happened in the world since a few hours ago.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.