No. of Recommendations: 8
Just visited a physician only blog talking about retirement from medical practice.

A whole generation of physicians is retiring early from medical practice because they just can not stand the poorly designed electronic medical records software systems forced on them by hospitals and the US government.

I hope I can find someone good, to take care of me, when I get old.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 6
<<A whole generation of physicians is retiring early from medical practice because they just can not stand the poorly designed electronic medical records software systems forced on them by hospitals and the US government.

I hope I can find someone good, to take care of me, when I get old.>>

I remember my doctor expressing his frustration with that when it took over the medical practice in which he worked.

He said he's spent his career closely observing his patients while taking notes for reference. With the electronic records, he said he was always looking at the computer screen.

I thought that was an interesting comment, and I wonder how that change affected the quality of medical care he was able to provide.

Seattle Pioneer
No. of Recommendations: 4
and I wonder how that change affected the quality of medical care he was able to provide.

Another scary thought. 'how will your treatment be if you forget to change out of your MAGA t-shirt before going to the doctors office' or 'wellness center'.
No. of Recommendations: 5
"he's spent his career closely observing his patients while taking notes for reference. With the electronic records, he said he was always looking at the computer screen."

My first cardiologist never looked at me. She looked at my X-rays and charts, occasionally mumbled something, was constantly typing and never looked up. Then got up and left the room. On my way out I told the receptionist I wouldn't return. And I didn't.

RayB
No. of Recommendations: 1
Oh, I imagine doctors have seen more dramatic issues...

Besides, only morons are still horrified of a Nazi being elected President by a nation full of Brown Shirts.

Seattle Pioneer
No. of Recommendations: 4
As a physician, you can look at your patient or look at the computer screen.

You cannot do both at the same time.
No. of Recommendations: 1
If used a couple of EMRs in my career. I've always wondered if they hired Apple flunk outs to design the functionality. Both have been totally user unfriendly and totally illogical in finding information.

In general, once I've learned my way around, I can find information a little easier (not by much) than from a paper chart. The biggest problem, when someone has had stuff done at another hospital. Even if that hospital uses the same system, can't get that information.

JLC