Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
What? You don't think that banning marriage for certain individuals isn't 'limiting their lifestyle'?

No.

-----

Well, I guess that's your take on it.

But, as I see it, if, for whatever reason, my wife and I had been denied marriage, we would be restricted from certain advantages only available to married couples. Direct financial advantages , which translate to a more comfortable lifestyle.

eg:

Insurance benefits. Currently DW is out of work. If we were not married, she would have to pay her own premiums for coverage. The cost of those premiums would certainly affect her lifestyle.

We also enjoy a discounted rate for car insurance, as married couples are (actuarily speaking) considered to be more stable.

Heck, our auto club even gives us a discount because we're married. We went to an event recently at the art museum - 'spouse' = 1/2 price.

It all adds up.

What about the emotional aspects of not being allowed to marry? Depression can easily affect lifestyle. I watched depression destroy a family member. Not a lifestyle one would want to 'enjoy'.

Then there's social security survivor's benefits, not available to life partners who are not married. That's a financial benefit that would certainly affect the lifestyle of older partners who've worked together throughout their lives. Especially at marginal income levels.

My take.

Rich

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.