Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
What you would originally qualify for, I believe, is to file a restricted application. For those born before Jan 2, 1954, you can file at your full retirement age or older for your benefit and as long as your spouse has already filed for their benefit, at any age, you can restrict your benefit to the spousal benefit (50% of spousal PIA), which would allow your benefit to increase at 8% per year (accrue delayed retirement credits) up to age 70, when DRC stops and then switch from spousal benefit to your own. What likely prevents you from being able to do this now is because you already began your own benefit before your FRA. When you do that Social Security will be 'deemed' to give you both your benefit + spousal benefit, so you've used both. I believe this prevents you from using the restricted application. However, you can call Social Security and ask.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.