Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
What's the verdict from the physio, Simon? Forgot to mention that I watched your vid link (and others in the series) Although I don't totally dismiss the value of "traditional" stretching I've used these functional movement patterns and facilitated active stretching myself over the years.

I too am basically a tight hammies and calf person (can't blame it on swimming)....to the extent that I had a very flat back, no lordosis in my spine and no arse. The solution didn't come along until a training workshop in my very early days as a fitness instructor. There were 2 other gals who were runners I got talking to...one a dancer by training and one a chiropractor. I commented on their great posture and complained about mine and the chiro said she could fix that. And she did.....she spent a good hour teaching me how to do a proper squat! All the buildup like a proper hip hinge, wall squats etc. Just a few weeks later my husband commented....and thought I was actually forcing the posture. Freeing up some spine and muscle flexibility by just practising these squats gave me a "normal" back alignment without me even being aware. At around the age of 50!!

RDLs, squats. good mornings etc are so useful if done correctly (IF!) as they're a diagnostic for a tight posterior chain AND a remedy!

Thanks for the reminder!
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.