No. of Recommendations: 2
Whatever it the terminal growth rate works out to be, I think there's enough runway to ride this for another 2-4x before worrying about the end game.

I agree with that assessment. My issue with the 500% growth rate is that the end arrives rather quickly and China has a propensity for overbuilding. My experience with retail tells me that low cost eateries can sustain a very high number of stores because they have to be within walking distance of their customers. You would not get in your car to go to an out of the way MacDonald's. Even so, at one point in time Starbucks managed to open way too many outlets in the USA. IIRC they had to call back the founder to set things right.

Wikipedia has a better memory than I do...

On January 8, 2008, Schultz returned as CEO of Starbucks after an eight-year hiatus.[26] Although the company was growing, that growth was largely dependent on opening new stores, while same-store sales were declining.[25] He fired many executives,[25][27] closed down hundreds of weak stores,[25][27] hired the company's first Chief Technology Officer,[27] introduced the Starbucks Reward Card,[27] and temporarily closed all US locations to retrain employees in making espresso.[27] The company soon returned to organic growth and investor favor.[27]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Schultz#Career

Look at what happens when a great idea is mismanaged, specially when it coincides with a financial crash (2006-2009)

https://invest.kleinnet.com/bmw1/stats25/SBUX.html

Denny Schlesinger

BTW, LK came up as the best covered call to sell this week. ;)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.