Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Print the post Back To Top
There was [past tense] another CEF investing exclusively in India:

JFI = Jardine Fleming India

which occasionally outperformed it peers, was renamed to the Saffron Fund {and it re-oriented/broadened its investment focus} , and then quickly DISSOLVED.

sunray
a man who own JFI shares
Update:

I now own mutual funds MINDX & WAINX.
I also own INP.

sunray
No. of Recommendations: 1
Happy to share an article that I recently wrote. I picked two Indian stocks (ADRs) and one ETF as my top picks for any investor looking to invest in India right now. Here:
https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/01/07/3-top-indian-stock...

-Neha
I was thinking that Reliance Ltd will also be a good stock as it will seperate Jio telecom business in 18-24 months and was wondering why it has been given a miss. Do not know NYSE of Reliance.
Neha,

What do you like on the Indian Stock Exchange (NSE)? I noticed some of your holdings are there.

Are you focusing on the consumption and banking/financial services macro themes in India?

Some things on my radar are HDFC, IIFL, KRBL and Sunteck.

CMFBLSH
holdings: http://my.fool.com/profile/CMFBLSH/info.aspx
Hi,

The dynamics of the banking sector has changed dramatically in recent weeks, thanks to Nirav Modi (PNB fraud) and Chhanda Kocchar (ICICI Bank). I still believe HDFC Bank could be the better of the lot. I'm watching Yes Bank as well. Not too keen on PSUs for now.

As for broader themes, consumption is one you're rightly focused on. I have my eyes on auto (as more and more people migrate from towns to cities), consumer durables, FMCG (HUL recently hit all-time highs).

Infrastructure is back in the limelight as the Govt. is visibly advancing mega projects. For change, it's not all talk but action. https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/national-highway-c...

Haven't done a deep dive into many stocks lately. Frankly, I'm not the small-cap hungry investor that most investors in India now seem to be. Blue chips lure me more. :)

-Neha
Sorry, missed your message earlier!

Reliance isn't listed in the U.S., hence no mention in my article.

I wouldn't invest in Reliance speculating that it will separate Jio. No doubt, Jio has disrupted the telecom sector and things will never be the same again for incumbents, but I am wary about a couple of things, like Jio reporting an operating profit last time.

There appear to be discrepancies in Jio's reporting, mainly that it's capitalizing operating expense like employee costs and showed low depreciation charges, all of which boosted its profit numbers.

Even if I give Jio the benefit of doubt considering that I don't know much about telecom accounting, how long will the company be able to sustain the dirt-cheap tariff that it's used so far to lap up customers? With negligible switching cost for customers, it'll take Jio a lot to build a loyal customer base. Not to forget that other players like Airtel and Vodafone are already at loggerheads with Jio over its predatory pricing policies.

Basically, there are too many moving parts at Reliance, more so in volatile sectors like oil and gas and telecom, which makes it difficult to build a conviction on the stock. That's what I feel.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

-Neha