Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
What's up with the "must file by mail with >2 providers?" I cannot find this documented ANYWHERE.

Yes you can find documentation. TT is telling you so.

It's major deep breath time. There was a time when no one e-filed, and yet taxes got paid. Not being able to e-file doesn't mean there's something wrong. It just means you can't e-file.

- If I backed the $5K out of the onsite daycare, should I have done that?

I'm not sure what you're asking here, but I'm pretty sure the answer is "no." There's no fudging necessary to complete the 2441.

- Am I going to trigger some issue if I try to re-e-file?

Only another e-file failure, and given your reaction to this one I wouldn't recommend it.

Alternatively, can I simply not claim the child care credit and remove all that piece from my tax return? If I do, will I cause issues with the $5K of pre-tax?

In order, no and yes. You account for that $5,000 on Form 2441. If you don't, you have to add it back to your income.

It sounds like you should wind up with a credit equal to the applicable percentage for your income times $1,000. If you don't, if you post the numbers from the 2441 maybe we can figure out where you went wrong.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.