Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
When facing questions of filing status or dependents I always go straight to Pub 501 since there are so many nuances. Starting on page 13 of that pub you'll find a thorough discussion of what constitutes a student for this purpose.

Thanks for the pointer. Having read that, I can see that because she was in school for 5 months in 2013, she qualifies as a student, and so I can take her as my dependent as she meets all of the tests for qualifying child. I guess it is the 5-month stipulation that handles that part about the year the child graduates, and that was the part I was missing.

Thanks for the quick help. I'll get her taxes done now as she will be getting back the bulk of what was withheld because she only worked a few months, and didn't make very much. Next year should be closer for her in terms of taxes owed and withheld.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.