No. of Recommendations: 3
when I do a conversion, do I have to sell my holdings in the 401(k) and then just use the proceeds for the conversion -- or can I convert specific holdings just as they are?

You can convert specific holdings, if they are actual tradable securities, and the IRA custodian will accept them. The problem is, many 401(k)s have holding that are set up as 'investment trusts', which mimic mutual funds and/or ETFs, rather than the actual mutual fund or ETF itself.

Also, if you hold company stock in your 401(k) account, you should explore the Net Unrealized Appreciation (NUA) rules before you decide to convert the company stock.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.