Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
When I have run the numbers, a 28% Federal Tax Bracket isn't enough to offset the lower interest rates. It takes 33% or 35%. However, interest rates in general have dropped so much that maybe you can find some deals.

Thanks for the reply. The Tax-Exempt Yield (on VMSXX) is around 2.75% right now (though this might not fully reflect the recent Fed rate cut). The online banks are at about 3%. It would appear that the tax-exempt yield is better right now, even at 28%, but I don't know if this is normal.

I'm guessing from your comment that this is not normally the case. I'm thinking that having this fund as a part of my "rotation" where I can place money might make sense. While it has the best after-tax rate, I put money there; if the conditions change in a few months, I move money to the place that gets me the most return.

I don't like to chase TOO much, but I'm ok with having 4 or 5 places that I rotate among based on the rates they are paying.

Thanks again.

Acme
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.