Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
When I make a withdrawal from my IRA I specify a percent goes to the feds, another percent that goes to the state. As far as I know I could make them add up to 100% if I chose to. If I ever have to do a quarterly payment that's how I figure on doing it with no paperwork. (I am years from RMD. When I did a conversion to my ROTH I had to talk with them on the phone because I wanted taxes held out - their default was no withholding on a conversion.)

Other than RMDs from an inherited IRA we have made no deductions from our IRAs. While our Roth conversion last month was a taxable event, we did not wish to have the taxes withheld from the conversion funds as that would lower the amount of the Roth conversion. Instead we are paying the taxes due from taxable funds. We have had to do estimated tax payments this year as DH does not have an employer, but we knew we would be doing conversions up to the top of the 24% tax bracket so we simply assumed that much income and paid the taxes on it quarterly.

Fidelity would have taken the tax money out of the conversion funds had we asked. Not sure they would have taken them from a taxable account, or indeed an RMD, had we been taking them from our accounts.

IP
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.