Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

When I read that you were going to give an unbiased opinion, I braced myself for 100% total political bias. Thanks for surprising me with an honest unbiased explanation of the immediate effects of the new tax law on individuals and corporations.

Your economic analysis could use a little work. When an economist says it will take 2 years for the impact of the tax law to be felt, they mean that it will be slowly felt over the next two years, but not fully felt until the two years is up.

As soon as employers start adjusting how much is witheld from paychecks, the employees will start seeing bigger paychecks and have the freedom to make use of that money. And that also means that the economic impact of the tax cuts will begin to impact the economy right away, but most of the impact will take additionals years to be fully felt. My brother is one of many independent contractors who pay quarterly taxes. He has already changed how much he pays in taxes, and will not see any significant change in his tax bill next April. This is why some of the impact of the tax cuts will be felt immediately (as in several months ago).

I suspect H&R Block is looking to close 100s of locations because of the growing popularity of filing online or with software. You are right that this will simplify the taxes for millions of Americans, but most probably will not stop using H&R offices until after they file this spring.I know I will no longer be filing long form, although I still have more than a few complications because of my small real estate business.

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.