No. of Recommendations: 0
When I see one of them using it on TV I switch channels. When I see someone post it I assume they are being rude and correct them once, then put them on ignore if they do it again.

WoW! You certainly solved those problems LOL!

Desert (and yet the world goes on not adhering to your dictates) Dave
Print the post Back To Top
Hi Tim,

I always thought the oil sands were tar sands. What have I misunderstood?

"What Are Tar Sands?

Tar sands (also referred to as oil sands) are a combination of clay, sand, water, and bitumen, a heavy black viscous oil. Tar sands can be mined and processed to extract the oil-rich bitumen, which is then refined into oil. The bitumen in tar sands cannot be pumped from the ground in its natural state; instead tar sand deposits are mined, usually using strip mining or open pit techniques, or the oil is extracted by underground heating with additional upgrading."

from http://ostseis.anl.gov/guide/tarsands/

and also wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_sands

JimA
No. of Recommendations: 1
I always thought the oil sands were tar sands. What have I misunderstood?

If you had read your own wiki link you would have had the answer. The native canoe makers long ago quickly realized that the bitumen wouldn't harden like tar would, probably when the canoe started taking on water?

While neither is completely correct oil sands is closer and insisting on using Tar Sands is an effort to make the stuff sound far worse than it is by environmental groups ... who lie a lot. When I see one of them using it on TV I switch channels. When I see someone post it I assume they are being rude and correct them once, then put them on ignore if they do it again.

Tim

http://www.alternativesjournal.ca/energy-and-resources/web-e...
While neither is completely correct oil sands is closer and insisting on using Tar Sands is an effort to make the stuff sound far worse than it is by environmental groups ... who lie a lot. When I see one of them using it on TV I switch channels. When I see someone post it I assume they are being rude and correct them once, then put them on ignore if they do it again.

Did you read your own link?

You might be forgiven for believing that the term has been foisted upon us by nasty, truth-hating environmentalists – but you’d be wrong. The term has actually been part of the oil industry lexicon for decades, used by geologists and engineers since at least 1939.

...Even the Alberta Chamber of Resources, an industry lobby group, admits that the term “oil sands” gained popularity in the mid-1990s, when government and industry began an aggressive public relations campaign to improve public perception of the dirty-sounding “tar sands.”
When I see one of them using it on TV I switch channels. When I see someone post it I assume they are being rude and correct them once, then put them on ignore if they do it again.

WoW! You certainly solved those problems LOL!

Desert (and yet the world goes on not adhering to your dictates) Dave
No. of Recommendations: 1
Did you read your own link?

I'm fully aware of the whole story or I wouldn't be attempting to correct people's misuse. It used to be OK to use a term for black people in the US until it became derogatory and now is only that?

I'm tired of people from elsewhere coming to my country to insult us with their ignorant terms and tell us we should stop producing oil from any source unless we are selling it to American refiners at a major discount. This while they drill theirs like there is no tomorrow and pay protesters to block pipelines to tidewater in Canada where we could get full price. Our economy loses 40 Billion a year that goes directly into US pockets and people like Nye know very well the correct term. He also probably knows (or should) that the oil sands that will get produced (probably 5% but certainly no more than 10%) is a tiny part of the boreal forest and is left in cleaned up condition compared to what was there before.

How about just tell Daryl Hannah, Neil Young, DeCaprio (who doesn't know the difference between a Chinook and Global warming) and others to park the private jets and in Decaprio's case monster yacht and save the earth that way.

Tim

https://globalnews.ca/news/2392298/albertans-poke-fun-at-leo...

‘It’s a Chinook’: Albertans mock Leo DiCaprio’s climate change comments