No. of Recommendations: 0
When I turned 24 the wife and I decided to get into the rental bussines. We started out small at first.

I have learned that single family homes as rentals do not make much if any cash flow month to month. They do however create a sizable tax advantage in the form of depriciation. The money to be made on a single family home in in the form of capital appreciation.

Duplexes and other multi family dwellings create largs cash flows and a medium tax advantage. This was great as an offset to my normal wages which allowed a huge reduction in taxes and quite a bit of working capital to fund growth. The capital appreciation is not generally very large. Duplexes do have more maintenance, though not much.

I have had a few rough tennants and a lot of good tennants. It all comes down to screening. An easy way around college kids and the possibility of bad tennants is to put the parents on the lease. Mom and dad will keep them in line or cover the costs. Check your local laws first, though.

I've had a good overall experiance with the rental thing. It has funded most of my education and created sizable growth in my investment portfolio.

Later,
Scott
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.