Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
When I was a young vegan, the news on soy was only eat it fermented, e.g. tofu, miso, natto, tempeh. The problem (which is small, unless one is eating fake meat etc. more than daily) is that many of the flavorings are neuroexcitants which are mildly toxic (similar to the problems w/fake sugars like aspartame). The rule of thumb is eat only one protein & only one starch daily, & never at the same meal. It's very hard to digest protein & starch together (this is why cooked beans give you gas unless they've been sprouted before cooking). If you're eating a wide variety of non-starchy vegetables, you're already getting loads of amino acids (the building blocks of protein); the "need" for complete protein is largely mythical. An adult only needs 25 grams daily (less than an ounce!) & many veggies are high in amino acid content (broccoli is 22% aminos, asparagus is 25% etc.). In any case, the stuff from Yves, Light Life, etc. is safer than meat consumption. My problem w/a lot of this stuff is that so many items contain canola oil, which is a definite no-no if you want vibrant health. Your best bet is to buy a roll of pH paper & check your saliva pH at least a few times a week. Ideally, it will be between 7.3 and 7.4. If you're acidic (under 7), you need to adjust your regimen to get more alkaline (drink more pure water, eat more veggies, consume non-sweet fruits). All the healthy fats are raw plant fats (avocadoes, coconuts, olives & olive oil, soaked nuts & seeds, raw nut & seed butters & oils). If you need more info, post again (I'm ValueSnark's friend who was out of town). Health & peace.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.